Freitag, August 31, 2007

Dr. Futurity

Although a lesser known Dick novel, I was really surprised reading it. Jim Parsons - the mean character - is hurled through time and becomes a victim of time. There are some really nice "time-twists" in this novel that starts very slowly but in the second part you race through an ever astonishing story. All this is set in a future society that holds very different morals. This is probably the best book I read in 2007 so far. And that's getting frustrating: I read Moorcock, Shepard, Pratchett, Vonnegut, but every time I come back to Philip K. Dick to entertain me. I ordered a few more Dick books over the internet, but I'm also going to try a William Gibson.

"How can a society be judged by an individual created by another society?"

"Easier to cut a section from a rat brain than build a control."

The first quote made me think about how easily we judge other cultures. The second about all those products that use animal testing, although the availability of alternatives.

Labels: